We all tell ourselves we are going to read over the summer, but then before we know it, it’s July and we haven’t read as much as we planned. One of the issues that may stop us is deciding which book to read. Well, we have that obstacle tackled for you. Here is Dresscode’s summer reading list for 2019, everything from women in tech, to business, to self-help. It is not too late to start!
- Brotopia: Breaking Up the Boys’ Club of Silicon Valley by Emily Chang
- Bloomberg TV journalist Emily Chang sheds light on the largely male-dominated tech world of Silicon Valley in this national best-selling novel. Chang gains insights from top women leaders, such as YouTube’s CEO Susan Wojcicki and Facebook’s COO Sheryl Sandberg, to reveal the truth of being a woman in this “Brotopia” and how she believes it can finally be put to a stop.
- Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing Our Digital Future by Andrew McAfee and Erik Brynjolfsson
- Two MIT academic authors give a deep analysis on how embracing technology can lead us to a better future. McAfee and Brynjofsson discuss disruptive technology companies such as AirBnb, Amazon and Google. This is a great read for start-ups or anyone intrigued by the future.
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of Nike by Phil Knight
- The creator of Nike, Phil Knight, finally reveals the story of the brand in this New York Times bestselling novel. From selling running shoes out of his car to founding one of the most well-known brands in the world, Knight’s mission has always been to create high-quality and game-changing products that were different from the rest. It is well worth the read for anyone interested in the honest, often messy, route of starting a business.
- How to Skimm Your Life by The Skimm
- “Did you ever feel like there were secret classes on how to be an adult and you missed that day?” (The Skimm). The news source, The Skimm, known for its email newsletters and “bite-sized” content is here to deliver all the secrets of being an adult, from finance to career-help to managing stress, How to Skimm Your Life is here to help.
- Girl, Stop Apologizing by Rachel Hollis
- Rachel Hollis, motivational speaker and blogger and the author of the self-help book Girl, Wash Your Face, has released a follow-up book this year on living to your full potential. Hollis’ honest read teaches women how to own who they are and grow to their full potential. This is a fantastic read for any woman, no matter their stage in their life or their dreams.
Pick up a book this summer and start reading! One of Dresscode’s values is curiosity: we are always willing to learn more. We want you to do the same. To learn more about Dresscode and our mission, visit DresscodeTech.
Written by Emma Kuszynski – Dresscode Email and Blog Content Intern 7/11/2019.